Sunday, February 15, 2009

Australian Geographic

In this burgeoning economy of 2009, one of the things I wanted to do was experience more outdoors Australia and possibly avoid the bars as much as possible. You know, cheap living, but experiencing more of the real world out there. So when my friend Jamie and co. offered a trip to the Blue Mountains for some camping and canyoning, I checked my bank account, then jumped at the chance. Without a clue of what canyoning was, I cleaned out the cooler of papers, grabbed a sleeping bag and borrowed a tent from Scott (which I subseqently biked up Oxford Street like a soldier in training).

In short, camping and canyoning was a blast. Great mix of downing beers like a barfly and scaling hills like that Bear Grylls dude. After taking an extra hour getting lost on the way there, we even managed to put up our tents in about 20 minutes, before the rain nonetheless. As I've mentioned before, canyoning felt like I was a member of the Goonies: slides, rocks, adventure at every turn. We must have missed the buried treasure. As an aside, which Goonie would I be? Guess it cancels out Data...and Chunk since I'm neither Asian nor fat. I suppose the main kid (whose only name I don't remember) is the best choice, although I never had asthma or an infatuation with a one-eyed pirate. Anywho, there were missteps along the way and frigid water when you're not wearing a wesuit, but times like this do make you feel like a mountain man. What's it about the outdoors that make you no longer care about sleep, showers, toothpaste, toilets and overall societal mores?

But now that we're back in the city, I do need my Foxtel, Spin and Old Spice body wash. Some old habits never die....



No comments: