Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Erin Go Blah

So here's one of these "it's just not the same moments" that I come across in Sydney: I'm sitting at my computer on St. Patrick's Day at 9:00, sipping a Becks (German beer!) and didn't have corned beef or something green at some point today. Hell, there wasn't even a sign of the holiday, other than one random guy in a green hat at 7am.

It's strange to me what part of American culture this place soaks up, like movies and reality shows, but passes up great holidays like this. I suppose the Irish in Ireland don't make a big deal out of today either, so maybe it's an American thing. We do love to party for any excuse.

This is the strange part of my memory, but I can probably remember every St. Patricks since about 2000...the day I graduated from college. No, wait, I can remember back to 1999, when I was actually in Dublin. Other than the obvious cultural thing, there's been good memories from St. Patty's: mom cooking green pancakes, NCAA tourney starting up, when's it's on a Friday or Saturday, Pag filling the water cooler with green dye. It's just not the same when it's just another day in March. C'mon Oz, get with the Irish spirit and down a Guinness or 10.

Here's some good SPD memories from a classic one, in 2004. The night started so innocently....maybe not.





No comments: