Monday, April 27, 2009

Balifornication - Pt 2

I like west coasts. Since I've lived on the east coast of Sydney for the last 19 months, the thought of hanging on the beach during a tropical sunset suits me just fine. Made a point each day to see the sun headed for other pastures. No sir, I still don't want cannabis and ma'am, take your hand off my shoulder, do not want a massage either. Other than those minor distractions, the sun setting over the tepid Indian Ocean keeps one mellow. Maybe I should've taken their offers, added to the scenery.















Took a day trip to a place called Ubud on day four. It's a small town that provides a little more traditional Balinese lifestyle. More temples and rice paddies, and the vendors actually keep to themselves. The monkey sanctuary puts you face-to-face with some goofy looking dudes, chomping away on bananas, or anything else they can get their hands on. I didn't trust them from the start, and sure enough, one cheeky little bozo jumped on my backpack trying for my camera. Not sure if he wanted to take some snapshots or thought it was lunch, but was eventually able to pry him loose.



















Back in Kuta, low key restaurants and tiki-tpe bars litter Poppies Gang I and its partner nearby, Poppies Gang II. Beers are about $1.50, meals maybe 10. Spots such as Swell, Bali Aguya, The Treehouse and Kedin's Cafe are tough to pass up. What's funny about staff at bars and retaurants is that they'll hound you to come inside, but then you need a set of flares to flag someone down for another drink. When the tip system isn't in play, all rules are off, I suppose. Some places screen movies at night, which is pretty cool for solo travelers like myself. Although there were a few stinkers in there, was able to finally see Frost/Nixon, good stuff.

I'd be remiss to not mention how Bali was hit by a series of bombings, both in 2002 and 2005. Although a substantisal double blow to the morale of the island and tourism today, things seem to be chugging along nicely in Kuta. They do have a memorial at the site of 2002 bombings, with all the victims scribed on the wall. We were talking the other day about why in Allah's name would someone go after a place like Bali, doesn't seem to harm anyone. But as the only Hindu island in the largest Muslim country on earth....I suppose there are a few tensions there. Here's hoping this island stays out of harm's way moving forward.

Speaking of moving forward (or in this case, backwards), almost forgot about my hotel trade to the Ayu Beach II. The sequel is never really as good as the original, is it? Along with Poppies Lane II, the second incarnation of Ayu Beach Inn didn't leave too much to be desired. Actually, this REALLY felt like a cheap Indonesian hotel room. There were the luxuries of an actual bed and ceiling fan, but this place didn't offer toilet paper or a towel for the shower. Thankfully, my Jacks Surfboard t-shirt served as a suitable towel (not tp!) for two days. This is what you get for about $8 a night. Made my way back to the original Ayu a few days later....room 41, air con, breakfast, pool, civilization.















Since the flight out was not until late, made the most of final day in town. Had one of the hotel's drivers take me south to Uluwatu and Dreamland. More temples and monkeys, except this time I got to rock a sarong. I've gotta say, a skirt in Laker colors suited me well. Uluwatu Beach was also a haven for surfers, some really good breaks with entrance to beach through cave-like setting. On the ride back to Kuta, I was joined by some traveling Swedes and a guy from San Jose, all who were staying at the Ayu Beach. Always good to meet fellow travelers...except when I get back to Bondi and they become dirty Euro backpackers!




















Before heading for the airport, made my way down Legian Rd/St again, soaking up the culture one last time. Final dinner was at Crusoe's Island, which offered the "coldest beers and hoottest girls in Bali." I guess they refer to good looking girls as owls or something in Bali. Friends from Oz mentioned a place called Paddy's, which I assumed was another chill bar where I could catch Champions League or something. Located right at Ground Zero from the bombings, Paddy's is the cheesy nightclub you'd expect in a place like Kuta. Being about 7:30, I waltzed in as the only patron to enjoy their two for one deals. I was amused by the sountrack of the place, which was the Bee Gees entire catalog. Was this a nod to all the Aussie tourists, or just an appreciation of the Gibb brothers' career? All I can say is the 60s songs were typical, yet well-written pop songs. As for the Staying Alive era, disco sucks. Started chatting with a Kiwi at the bar for a bit, before grabbing one last drink at nearby Swell and catching the end of 40 Year Old Virgin (I wanna shave your head).

The sunsets were good, weather warm, ocean almost as warm. Both locals and tourists were friendly, and I was able to practice saying "no thanks" to vendors approximately 500 times. Guns were rocking, beer and food went down easy, too. Oh yeah, after a few phone calls, my visa came through. There's the proof....I'm legal again.

No comments: